tallassee tigers sports
Covering the purple and gold since 1954
WTLS' first season of carrying Tallassee High School football was 1954. The '54 Tigers were 'Border Conference' champs with a 9-1 record. Games in the early days of WTLS were Saturday morning tape-recorded playbacks. In 1999, WTLS began airing the games live on Friday nights. In 2000, THS games were made available through the internet. Cable simulcasts were launched in 2006. Video webcasting began in 2009. Games are now available on WTLS 1300 AM & 106.5 FM, www.1300wtls.com, www.tallasseetv.com and Spectrum cable television Channel 97.
WTLS provides wall-to-wall coverage on gamedays with 'Tallassee Tiger Talk' during the Wake-Up Call with head coach Mike Battles, Jr. every Friday at 7:15. River Region Sports is on-location at Jack's from noon - 2:00. At 6:00, the 'PrimeSouth Bank Pregame Show' is a one-hour breakdown of the game of the week. The 'Parker Tire and Service Center Halftime Report' features the Pride of Tallassee marching band. After the game, the crew selects the Spectrum 'Player of the Game' during the 'Community Hospital Post-Game' show. The 'Scoreboard Show' takes your calls after the game until 11:00.
Listen and Watch:.
2018 Tallassee Baseball Broadcast Schedule (Gametime/Airtime)
Tuesday, March 6 Clay Central (4:00/4:30)
Wednesday, March 7 Valley (4:00/4:30)
Saturday, March 10 Chilton County (DH) (10:45/11:00)
Tuesday, March 13 Wetumpka (DH) (4:00/4:30)
Monday, April 9 Carver (DH) (4:00/4:30)
Wednesday, April 11 Elmore County (4:00/4:30)
Friday, April 20 Playoffs (Round 1) (TBA)
2018 Tallassee Football Broadcast Schedule *All Airtimes 6;00
Aug. 24 vs. Catholic
Aug. 31 vs. Handley
Sept. 7 vs. Greenville
Sept. 14 at Carroll
Sept. 21 vs. Early County, Ga.
Sept. 28 OFF
Oct. 5 vs. Valley (Homecoming)
Oct. 12 at Rehobeth
Oct. 19 vs. Charles Henderson
Oct. 26 at Beauregard
Nov. 2 at Elmore County
Tallassee Tigers Facts:
- Tallassee had five consecutive undefeated seasons under J.E. "Hot" O'Brien from 1942 - 1946. During that stretch, the Tigers' record was 56-0-1. The Tigers won 33 straight games from 1944-1947.
Justin Williams ranks fifth in Alabama for touchdowns scored in
a season with 37 in 1999. Williams is the all-time leading rusher
at Tallassee with career rushing yards from 1997 - 1999.
Tallassee running back Brandon Baynes owns the Tigers' single season rushing record with 2,599 yards in 2014, his senior season. Baynes also has the single game record for rushing yards for the purple and gold with 392 yards on 24 carries against Talladega, his grandfather's alma mater.
- In basketball, Tallassee's only trip to the championship game occured in 1927, a 30-12 loss to Woodlawn.
- Tallassee ranks seventh statewide with seven baseball championships.
- The Tigers won three consecutive titles from 1989 - 1991. THS won 40 games in a row in 1990 and 1991.
- The Tigers' 1995 season earned run average of 1.38 ranks fifth in AHSAA history.
- Alfred Rivers' 81 steals from 1987 - 1990 is best among Tallassee players.
- Jonathan Rivers ranks third in the state for consecutive wins as a pitcher with 21.
Goodman's 31-3 record as a pitcher is a Tiger's best. Goodman's
259 strikeouts lead all Tigers' pitchers.
Baseball Best Single Season Averages:
Johnathon Johns (1988) - .521
Davis Knapp (2011) - .514
Michael Chandler (1987) - .509
Rusty Smith (1998) - .505
John Wilbanks (1983 - '86) - .477
Alabama High School Football Historical Society Website Link: www.ahsfhs.org